Tuesday, June 14, 2011

How-To Tuesday :: Fabric Bookmark

A few weeks ago I saw this great tut from Little Birdie Secrets on how to make fabric bookmarks.

My plan was to make them as gifts. I tried making one, and it turned out great! I went to make the others and my sewing machine was not working! {Fail!} So, I had to make other options...but I did get one made. And yes, I kept it for myself!

The tut is so easy with minimal sewing!! My kind of project!


So, to get started, you will need:


*Fabric cut to 4" x 8"
*Fusible interfacing cut to 3.75" x 7.75"
*Fabric strip for flower cut to about 1.25" x 42"
*Coordinating thread and sewing machine
*Fabric glue
*Coordinating button
*Needle and thread

1. Following manufacturer's instructions, iron fusible interfacing to wrong side of fabric piece.


2. Fold fabric piece in half width-wise, right sides together.


3. Sew across bottom edge and up side edge.



4. Clip corners and turn inside out. Use a pencil to gently push out corners.


5. Fold ends of open end in about 1/2".


6. Top stitch around all four sides, close to the edge, closing up open end.



7. Create a fabric rosette with your long strip of coordinating fabric and fabric glue (see tutorial here). Hand sew a button in the middle.


8. Glue the fabric flower to the top of the bookmark with fabric glue. That's it!


{This tut was taken from their website. Directions and pics belong to Little Birdie Secrets.}

I followed these directions completely and had no issues. I just love when that happens!

Here is the bookmark I made


As soon as my sewing machine is repaired, I plan on making several more. They will be very handy for the several books I am reading this summer.

Check out Little Birdie Secrets for more great tutorials!

No comments: